Friday 2 January 2015

People Watching.

Or if you can't beat them, draw them!

Going solo over "The Holiday Period" has raised a lot of stuff that has needed dealing with.
I suspected that a month in Goa would not be easy - among the Club Meds, Home County U-Kippers, Spiritual Long-stayers, Australian Backpackers, Wealthy Russians and a handful of Indians living the dream.

I needed a project. Something to keep myself busy. I also wanted to get back into life drawing.

So the game was:

Park myself on the sand in the shade of a fishing boat, sketchbook, fine line drawing pen and wash pencil at the ready. Watercolours optional.

Watch the constant parade of beach life until I spot my subject. Look hard, really hard, for as long as it takes, and make a few defining marks on the paper, then stop observing and take no more than 5 mins to produce a quick memory sketch which is more concerned with warmth of feeling than accuracy.

Thus did I vent my Christmas spleen and manage to sort a few things out...





No comments:

Post a Comment