Wednesday 29 October 2014

Here today and gone tomorrow...

...BUT BACK AGAIN THE DAY AFTER!

I really do blow hot and cold about this whistle stop tour of Rajasthan I was seduced into. But rollin up to a different posh hotel every couple of days and havin my rucksack carried in for me is a style I shall miss when it's over...

The blogs are a bit of a jumble, but the route so far has been: Delhi - Mandawa - Bikaner - Jaisalmer - Jodhpur - Udaipur -  Pushkar - Jaipur -

And tomorrow at 7 onward to Agra - Amritsar - Dharamsala - and Ferenjinan. There to rest a while and try to recover from the worst dose of asthma I think I've ever had. Brought on I am sure by a toxic cocktail of dust, petrol exhaust fumes and wrong scented flowers.

Original plan was to take this region at a slower pace, but now realise my respiratory system is not up to Indian cities. Choke choke cough and cough. So while not enough time in each place to do it all, there's ample for the essential...and I should hopefully have more time to ease my way round the south.

But it's those Brief Encounters that I want to write about... The recurring ones... the ships that pass and pass again. Like the Indian Guide who warned me of the dangers of walking through a village alone at night in MANDAWA, and was there for me to wish him Happy Diwali in Jodhpur. We finally said goodbye where pigs were rooting through rubbish in Pushkar.
And Bernhard, the German, who jacked in a decent job because they wouldn't give him a sabbatical and whose camp bed was a few yards from mine the night in the desert. Walked into reception yesterday when I was writin to Bo's'n. Colin! Bernhard! This time we exchanged e-mail addresses, as he's here for the long haul too.
The three frenchies who never smiled and looked down their noses at everything. I clocked them three times, but avoided contact. Best leave them to it.
But the record goes to Lewis and Tess who were there in my snap of the red onions, were out on the town for Diwali in Jodhpur, and I can't remember where else...hitting it full on with Southern Hemisphere warmth and good humour. Today. Spooky. We literally bumped into each othe in the labyrinth of Amber Fort just north of Jaipur. They agreed to a portrait shot for the blog,  so Greetings...and Farewell to you both. It was great to have traveled a stretch of The Route with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment