Saturday 1 November 2014

Awestruck

Wandered moodily roud The Taj Mahal, thinkin, would you believe, of Diana, and how presumptuous it was of her image-makers to create that photograph. Fat lot of good it did her too. Very sad... And recalling that Sunday morning when the news broke from Paris. Passed by the seat, but passed on the opportunity to have myself snapped there, though there were plenty of takers.
Spent over four hours there in all. It was such a feast... Awestruck. When else have I felt similar? School trip Easter 1966 and my first view of The Eiffel Tower. The surprise of discovering Van Gough's Sunflowers in the National Gallery when I was a student, and sharing it with my bedsit mate, Sunrise at Stonehenge this year. Moments of true awe are rare.
Slowly the light faded, the Taj Mahal became as thin as tissue paper, and I had to leave.

Tonight, two days later, it happened again at The Golden Temple at Amritsar...

No comments:

Post a Comment