Thursday 6 November 2014

WASTE NOT, WANT NOT...

...pick yer nose an eat it.

My adolescent rejoinder to my mother's advice surfaces years later.

Don't throw that out, Floss, you never know when it might come in handy. (My father speaking)

Yeah, (adolescent me again,) empty cocoa tins, really good for keepin bits of old wristwatch in.

They put up with a lot...

I went for a walk one evening in Jaipur with two specific aims. To practice crossing the road, to sample some street food. The first I eventually got the hang of, street food sometimes needs a little more courage.

But the omelette I had, cooked on the spot with spring onions, and other finely spiced, diced and sliced aromatics, slapped between a couple of slices of Mighty White, a bit of newsprint folded round it, and the whole lot shoved into a dog poo bag and handed to me, was delicious. And with mother in mind, I even ate the two pieces of white bread.

The newspaper went on a pile of rubbish in the street...but the dogpoo bag...well, you never know when it might....etc. So I hung onto it.

Today, on a walk with FerenjiNan, we came upon the most beautiful marigolds, the same deep rich red as monks' robes...

Some of the seeds will be going back to Gloucester with me...in the omelette bag.




No comments:

Post a Comment