Wednesday 5 November 2014

The Filing Cabinet

We was stood at the back door here. See it comin straight towards us from over the back. Funny noise they made, doodle bugs. And then the engine cut out... You knew once they'd stopped you'd had it. But it turned and came down in Leebon Street. A lot o poor buggers got killed that night. (Repeatedly told family story from The Blitz)

A sunny afternoon in September. Not long into the new school term. I've left my class for a couple of minutes to go and get something photocopied. Nipped into Reprographics to find Mike, the headteacher, standing staring at the TV screen.

I can't believe it, he kept saying. I just can't believe it. We were there! We went up there, Karyn and I.

The telly was playing and replaying on a loop, footage of an aeroplane flying straight into a high building in New York.

So here I am this morning, trying to find a file for Sunday's Border Crossing Bombing.

Route 66 is a winding road.

No comments:

Post a Comment