Sunday 16 November 2014

Reply all.

Dear B,
Thanks so much for your email. The timing was perfect.
I got into Delhi at 4-30 this morning, dropped off in the dust, the dark and the cold before the dawn at a Tibetan community centre in a filthy suburb... The nightride down on the bus, taking hairpin bends on bumpy unsurfaced roads, made me feel utterly sick, and there were vomiting noises (and smells) coming from somewhere behind me. But now, here I am 14 hours later, in a fairly central hotel, and itching to get the train out, having spent a few hours this afternoon attempting some sight seeing, but eventually ending up in a local park. Pretty dilapidated, very sleazy, but there was space; and air that was just a tiny bit more breathable ...
I think of Delhi, and I come up with Hell on Earth. Or Bosch's Garden of  Earthly Delights. Now, if I could just get into bed and pull the covers over my head and wake up the day after tomorrow in Varanasi (the next stop) that'd be just fine!

Anyway, as you can tell, you've caught me at a low point. Am wondering whether I should have stayed longer in the mountains, but am also mindful that the season was changing there, and ultimately the South beckons... But so, tonight, does Gloucester!

Lots of love,

xxCol'.x












No comments:

Post a Comment