Monday 24 November 2014

Man flu'

Got to Bodhgaya three days ago, but now suffering the aftershock of a bowl of spinach soup the night of arrival, (should have known better than to risk it,) and the bigtime return of asthma. (Bodhgaya is the place where 2600 years ago, Prince Siddharta Gautama attained enlightenment under a bodhi tree and became Buddha. Today it is an international centre of pilgrimage, with all that it entails. There are the most incredible temples and monasteries. But there is also incense burning night and day, and a great deal more than just a couple of joss sticks! It's gone to me chest.)
So back now on antibiotics, rehydration salts and upping the inhalers again, and the jury is still out on Bodhgaya. I have to say though, that much as I respect Buddhism, it all feels like a huge assault on rational thinking. CORRECTION: on rereading the next morning, it would be more accurate to say "a huge assault on the way that I have learned to think". (I feel I'm grappling with something big.) Anyway here's a handful of pics:






No comments:

Post a Comment